Re: SAMBA configuration - Machine name

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 00:06 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > encrypt passwords = No  # very good for dos client...
> >                         # very bad for Win 95B and newer
>
> MSDOS 6.0 here.
>
> > I don't know if dos client has concept of WINS but if it does...
> >
> > wins support = yes # would be a good thing
>
> I dunno, either.
----
trust me on this...it won't hurt to put that in and it may very well
help
----

> > service smb restart
>
> Been there and done that about 1,000,000 times.
> And I've told you a billion times, NEVER EXAGGERATE!

----
actually, service smb restart isn't truly necessary because samba
automatically re-reads it's config files on some regular basis (perhaps
once per minute or so) but it helps speed things along if nothing
else...and of course, once you have a 'connection' established, even
changing and restarting smb service isn't going to change things for
those connections.

You might want to verify that a pointless connection doesn't already
exist from client to server...'smbstatus'

Craig