Re: NX client on FC4

On Wed, 2006-08-03 at 14:44 -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I been using the NX client for almost two years with freenx.  It's
> always worked: until now.  Recently, the window manager in my remote
> Gnome session stopped coming up.  A quick check of running processes
> reveals that metacity has indeed started:

Found the problem and fixed it!

I took a look at my session log file on the remote server, and saw many
X related errors.  So, I sat and thought about what the hell could be
causing it, and eventually concluded that it must be related to
something I've changed on the local side (my FC4 laptop).  Then it hit
me: I was testing out xcomposite earlier in the year and maybe that was
causing the problem.

I removed the section in xorg.conf where I was loading the composite
extention, and an nvidia option, AllowGLXWithComposite.  After
restarting the X server, I logged into the remote desktop with NX, and
Metacity was running!

I have no idea why the NX client doesn't like the composite extension.
I'll have to look into it.

Thanks to all that responded and lent me their advice.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu