Re: apt on FC4

Deboo wrote:
> How to install and configure apt under FC4?
>
> I'm tired of yum not working. Have tried several configurations. have
> a proxy which needs authentication.

I see from your past e-mails that you're using x86-64. In which case,
don't even *try* using apt. It doesn't understand Fedora's multi-arch
setup (that there can be two packages installed with the same name and
revision, but different architectures).

I'm not aware of any 64 bit Fedora apt repos for precisely this reason.

If you have any 32 bit software installed at all (including OpenOffice),
you almost certainly have installed a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of
glibc -- the main system libraries. If you're lucky, apt will just moan
and refuse to do anything. If you're unlucky, it will uninstall the 32
bit version of glibc, and all 32 bit programs will stop working. If
you're really unlucky, it will uninstall the 64 bit version and you'll
have to play with the rescue CD or reinstall from scratch.

There is very little hope that apt will be fixed -- Debian and Ubuntu
have their own ideas about multi-arch (which haven't fully arrived yet).
The Fedora developers see little need for an alternative to yum -- they
would prefer to spend time getting yum working as well as it can. Other
distributions have their own update programs.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that OpenOffice hackers are now
getting it to compile in 64 bit mode. There's no chance it will make
FC5 (at release), and little chance it will as an update. But x86_64 FC6
might ship with a 64 bit OpenOffice.

At that point, it will be that much more practical to have a 64 bit
*only* install. (There will still be a lot of add-on software that is 32
bit, though. You'd have to wave goodbye to all of that.)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Never ask, "Oh, why were things so much better
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | in the old days?"