Re: RAID 5 Multiple Hard-drives failure -- thanks

Hello,
Thank you for all the responds for this thread. From those, I've learned
several things and working on stuffs to eliminate other problems that may
cause the harddrives to fail. Several things I pick up from the suggestions,
and some conclusion:

1. I am replacing the power supply, making sure that the new power supply has
a bit more than what I need amps for each voltage level. So I am calculating
the power need for the system too. I heard that if the power supply doesn't
have enough amps when all the drives tried to draw power, it may make the
drives to suddenly spin down and damage them. In the meantime, I'm going to
check the PS that I have now.

2. I am adding more fan(s) in front of the drive bay to push more air through
it. I also got a suggestion of a temperature monitoring software, so I'll
look at that.

3. The two drives that failed are 200GB drives, which we bough at the same
time when building the machine. Another 200 GB drive had failed, which was
then replaced by Maxtor (another 200GB), which then failed again, which then
was replaced again by a 250 GB, which seems to still be working fine up to
now. So these 200 GB drives may come from the same plant or the same batch of
bad drives.

4. I am getting an extra hot spare drive, not Maxtor.

Thanks again for all the help and respon. They have been helpful.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Dept. Physics and Astronomy