Re: Creating Image

Greetings,

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
On 3/14/06, Jim Douglas <jdz99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to create an image of my current FC server for quick restore.

I have a USB  drive.

me too =)

I have a USB Flash memory stick , if that counts . It is formated with
the FAT Filesystem

What command do I use to format the USB drive?

It depends on the filesystem .

Well generally the command for making filesystems  is mkfs .

mke2fs is a good series of software to check out and read about.

mke2fs is just the command for making an Extended Filesystem v. 2.0
( The Filesystem that usually Linux has ) . Now there is a chance of making an Ext3 filesystem which has the added advantage of a journal , which can be really helpfull in cases of data recovery .
The command for an ext3 filesystem would be :

mke2fs -j /dev/hdd1

What command should I use to create the image?

An ISO image you mean ?? By image you mean the thing that you write to
CDs ??

That's the mkisofs command

Kind Regards,
  Kostas