Re: International Chars cause backup problems

Tim wrote:
> I thought Fedora would be using UTF-8 by default, so everything should
> be the same.

It does -- at least as far as Linux native filesystems are concerned.

>  If you're mounting different file systems using different
> character encoding schemes, then you probably need to adjust how things
> are mounted and fix them up as the files come in and go out.

It's worse than that: it's possible for different processes to have
different $LANG settings and different character sets on the same
filesystem. There are even cases where this is what the user wants.

The kernel just treats UTF8, ASCII and the ISO 8859 series as a stream
of bytes:

    Officially, the kernel has no policy regarding which character set
    is being used for file names, content, or anything else. In each
    case, the kernel sees nothing more than a stream of bytes.
    -- http://lwn.net/Articles/71472/

(Note: JFS does have policy: that's what the article is about.)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Examiner: How does an AC motor start?
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Student: vrrrrrrrrrrRrRRRRRRR...