Re: Brother 1440 printer on Fedora Core 4

Eric Beversluis wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 10:34 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
Eric Beversluis wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 09:32 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
Eric Beversluis wrote:
Help! I need my printer (Brother 1440). I've already spent two days
trying to get it up. I've learned a good bit about how printing works on
Linux, but haven't had success. (This printer always ran automatically
with my old Mandrake 10.1 install.)

I've just installed Core 4 on a Sony PCG-SRX77. (I also installed
(server installation) on a Dell OptiPlex, but I haven't tried to get the
printer going there yet.)

Brother has two drivers, one for lpd and one as a
"cupswrapper" (whatever that is). The lpd rpm needs to be installed
before the cupswrapper rpm. When I tried to install the lpd rpm I got
this error message:

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.48389: line 2: /etc/init.d/lpd: No such file or directory error: %post(hl1440lpr-1.1.2-1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 127
Before installing the lpd driver you need to link lpd to cups in
/etc/init.d. Then install the lpd driver. Then install the
cups driver.
But as nearly as I can tell, lpd isn't there anywhere (it doesn't show
up in 'ps -e' either. I'm confused.
Read the directions on the Brother page. That what they state, I did
it then I removed the link afterwards. Then I loaded up the cups
driver. I don't know why but that's the way it worked. I'm using
a HL2070N.

OK. I'll try that. It seems strange to link an non-running and
apparently nonexisting daemon to something. But if it worked for you I'm
game.  I'll let you know what happens.

I think it stops the rpm from running the post install script. The
problem I had was selecting the correct URI for the networked
printer. I finally got http://printer/ipp/port1 to work and not
split out a billion blank pages.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx