Re: console on FC4

"deboo" wrote:
>How to enable console ttys in FC4? ANd why are the console ttys
>disabled? There seems to be no file under /etc for this.

Jim Cornette replied:

hbrhodes wrote:
> okay you've just confused me ... serial port?

Firstly, please quote context in your e-mails, like I've done. Asking
questions without providing the context is like going into your bank and
expecting to continue the conversation you had two weeks back without
reminding them who you are or what the problem was!

Not-All-The-World-Is-Gmail(TM)!

Secondly, are you the original poster, or someone else?

A "serial port" is usually a variant on the old RS-232 standard (at
least for PCs), which must go back to the 1960s or so. It is, or was,
the standard way of attaching things like modems and old-fashioned text
terminals to a computer. (Those are things that just display what the
main computer tells them to, and send keypresses back to the main
computer).

> i have a Nvidia 6200, and if you mean the monitor port is the serial
> port ... then i will try that.

Erm. Please don't...
> i can ctl-alt-F* just fine!  but in the
> xserver the window always starts up 80x23, and i'm using FC3 until FC5
> comes out!

This seems to be a different problem you have. You've been answered in
the original thread...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "OK, so your monitor is not working, the screen is
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do