From: Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 1:36:21 AM GMT-0700
Subject: Re: bacula server

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 17:59 -0700, RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> thanks folks but i do not have a leg to stand on here i am coming from freebsd where make install clean is about all i guy needs to install software.
>
> I downloaded what i think you are talking about the src rmp
>
> bacula-1.38.5
>
> have know idea how to rebuild rpms and do not even seem to have rpmbuild on my system.
>
> tried a good old configure but got this
> [root@shoemasters bacula-1.38.5]# ls
> ABOUT-NLS  configure  kernstodo    nb-1.37    projects      scripts
> autoconf   COPYING    kes-1.38     patches    README        src
> ChangeLog  examples   LICENSE      platforms  README.AIX    updatedb
> CheckList  INSTALL    Makefile.in  po         ReleaseNotes  VERIFYING
> [root@shoemasters bacula-1.38.5]# ./configure
> checking for true... /bin/true
> checking for false... /bin/false
> configuring for bacula 1.38.5 (18 January 2006)
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for g++... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for gpp... no
> checking for aCC... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for cc++... no
> checking for cl... no
> checking for FCC... no
> checking for KCC... no
> checking for RCC... no
> checking for xlC_r... no
> checking for xlC... no
> checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
> checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
> checking for egrep... grep -E
> checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
> checking for g++... g++
> configure: error: Unable to find C++ compiler

To install C++ compiler:
# yum install gcc-c++

To install rpmbuild:
# yum install rpm-build

To set up your environment to build RPM packages as a regular user:
http://www.city-fan.org/tips/CreateRPMBuildEnvironment
(note that the above instructions assume you have the Fedora Extras
repository enabled - see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/UsingExtras for configuring it on
FC3)

To build the package:
$ rpmbuild --rebuild \
        --define 'fc3 1' \
        --define 'build_mysql 1' \
        --define 'build_mysql4 1' \
        bacula-1.38.5-4.src.rpm

(replace bacula-1.38.5-4.src.rpm with the full filename of whatever
src.rpm you downloaded).

If you get messages about some packages being needed, use yum to install
those packages as for gcc-c++ and rpm-build above, then retry the
rpmbuild command.

P.S. Please don't top-post on this mailing list.

Paul.