Re: FC4->FC5 upgrade options

Douglas Phillipson wrote:

Jack Howarth wrote:
    What exactly are going to be the final upgrade options for
moving a FC4 machine to FC5? I take it from previous messages
here that upgrading via yum will not be recommended. Will a standard upgrade install over an existing FC4 installation work?
I assume the promised ability to do an archive and install ala
MacOS X hasn't made it into FC5. Is that correct? Linux is never
going to make significant headway on the desktop until we get
rid of the need to wipe and reinstall every time a system release
occurs.
         Jack

I upgraded from FC3 to FC4 both by yum and CD (upgrade) on several machines. Both went smooth. Here is the link I used to upgrade with yum:

http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html

Doug P

The link has good points for upgrading via yum. The problems I encountered with FC4 to FC5 test related to hotplug. This program was removed in lui of other ways to mount USB devices. What you need to do is run rpm -e hotplug and note the packages which depend upon hotplug, sane-backends is one of the packages. So update sane-backends and any other hotplug programs first. After upgrading the programs which depend upon hotplug, update initscripts which will pull in a lot of packages and also remove hotplug and setup things for the new usb changes between FC4 and FC5. Install the fedora-release package for the FC5 release. Update yum and its dependecies, drop to runlevel 1, put selinux into permissive, start networking. Next you can update the packages that do not relate to SELInux. After the FC5 kernel is installed, you must reboot the computer so that SELinux policy and %pre and %post scripts work properly. What I did after updating, correcting ant noticed problems with the system was to run 'fixfiles relabel to clear out temp and properly relabel the SELInux content for proper operation.

Troubling areas for using yum to upgrade from FC4 release to FC5 release is there are a lot of different factors like xorg-x11 going modular, hotplug being discontinued and the like. It probably is not wise to attempt this method unless the installer gives you problems like exceptions or does not like some item on your system.

I don't suggest disabling SELinux altogether. It is setup to use features within the FC5 kernel version which are not contained within the FC4 kernel. You just need to ensure the kernel contains the needed bits between version upgrades.

Use the installer if it works for you. I reported several problems related to the installer and they were claimed t be fixed post-last-test-for-FC5 install media. A yum update is possible but is a bit of trouble to install using this method. There is also new features available to add during the upgrade related to Xen. You can install those features post-install but probably with lesser results than the installer would give you. I would like to see a screen to display options to include new items from release to release as xen is offered as an add-in within the future releases. Upgrading would then not short-change you by not offering the latest and greatest add-ons from release to release.

Jim

--
Genius doesn't work on an assembly line basis.  You can't simply say,
"Today I will be brilliant."