Re: Having trouble getting GUI to work on HP NetServer LH3R

issue fixed...for other users who may be having the same or similar issue...here's how I resolved the issue...

I did this:

  1. When you first start your computer, the GRUB screen (where you choose your Operating System) appears. Select the Fedora that you want to boot into, but press the a key instead of pressing Enter.
  2. You will see a line somewhat like the following:

    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on rhgb quiet

    Add the number of your runlevel to the end of that line, and then press Enter. For example, to boot into text-only mode, the line would look like:

    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on rhgb quiet 3

You will then boot into the new runlevel this time only.

Did that so I could get into a terminal prompt rather then the GUI login prompt which was hosed...

Then thanks to Craigs suggestion...I did the following (logged in as root):

yum groupinstall "X Window System"

and after that completed (needed to run that twice due to a conflict initially which it seemed to have sorted out the second time around) I ran...

yum groupinstall "Administration Tools" "System Tools"

and let that run...

(NOTE, the "s are necessary to be included in the yum lines when you enter them in the Terminal or it will not work!)

after that I ran...

system-config-display --reconfig

and since the display looked fine via that tool (and it should hopefully look fine for you too now if you're following these steps to try and fix the same or similar issue for you) I typed reboot and thus rebooted into the OS and the GUI is fixed! :-D

On 3/13/06, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 17:26 -0800, Hex Star wrote:
> Thanks for the reply...there's an insane amount of main applications
> updates availible via YUM...but is there a way I can just via yum
> install the needed system updates? Thanks!
>
> On 3/12/06, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 22:11 -0800, Hex Star wrote:
>         > Hi, I've just installed Fedora Core 4 via text installer
>         because the
>         > graphic installer was destorted beyond use...and the main
>         GUI after
>         > installation is also distorted :-(..I've tried via rescue
>         mode to edit
>         > the X config and have tried changing the HorizSync and
>         VertRefresh to
>         > values mentioned by Windows and by Knoppix, neither of which
>         > worked...also tried changing the driver to svga as suggested
>         by
>         > Knoppix in its X config but that didn't work because Fedora
>         doesn't
>         > seem to have that display driver...the graphic card in
>         question is a
>         > Cirrus Logic GD544x and the monitor is a Dell V15x...don't
>         have the X
>         > config handy because my only access is via terminal (Knoppix
>         says it
>         > doesn't recognize the drives partition and thus can't mount
>         it :-( )
>         > but can type it up by hand if you guys really need it to
>         help
>         > me...anyone have a working X config for this hardware setup?
>         Would
>         > greatly appreciate any help, thanks!
>         ----
>         make sure that you do a yum update as root from command line
>         before you
>         fool around with it any more...the original installation for
>         FC-4 was
>         broken for certain video cards and the updates should fix
>         things for
>         you.
>
>         After the updates...try 'system-config-display --reconfig'
----
there probably is but I wouldn't know which ones off the top of my head.
If you had started the updates instead of asking the question, it would
probably be well on its way to completion. Yes, there were an insane
amount of updates for FC-4 but mostly because it was an aggressive
release that needed a lot of updates to be stable. The payoff is, when
the updates are finished installing, you should have a reasonably
up-to-date and stable system.

Craig