Re: Another backup question

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 17:47 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 12 March 2006 17:26, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 04:44, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Today's task is to identify the best method for my backup needs.  I want
> > > to take a day's work and archive it into existing directories on a server
> > > diskA, having first rsync'd server diskA and server diskB.
> > >
> > > Part one - making a script to create the second generation backup onto
> > > diskB - is not a big problem.  What is a bigger problem is what to use
> > > for the second part.  Rsync does not seem to be the right tool for this.
> > > I don't want all the older stuff copied back onto the workstation, I just
> > > want the new stuff added to the archive.  I'm mainly thinking of a photo
> > > archive.
> > >
> > > I'm going to take a look at rdiff-backup, but would be interested to hear
> > > of any other suggestions to follow up.
> >
> > My favorite for on-line backups is 'backuppc'
> > http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/.   It keeps a configurable history
> > of daily backups of multiple target machines using compression and
> > hard-linking of duplicates to keep about 10x more than you would
> > expect for the disk space needed and gives you a nice web
> > browser interface to restore or grab copies directly.  Since
> > most of the work is done at night you can stick a big hard
> > disk in a Linux desktop machine that you use for other work
> > in the daytime.  I don't think there is a handy rpm to install
> > it but once it is set up it will take care of itself.
> >
> I'll look at that, too, thanks.

Other option for doing the actual backup (not the copy to the other
drive) is mondorescue or bacula.   Both can be configured to do a
differential backup of the changed files or a full backup.

I use mondorescue on my workstation to make certain that if a drive
fails it can be recovered from bare bones in the time taken for the
restore.  Mondo is run from a crontab entry and takes care of itself by
writing CD/DVD images that can be then put onto the actual DVD when I
choose.

HTH
Jeff