problem getting audio to work properly on my FC4 box

Hi folks,

I have an FC4 server that had only a DVD-RW (identified by CD Player as SONY DVD RW DW-D26A) drive in it for a long time.  I know that I've used it just fine to read and burn data CD's and DVD's.  Since it was a "server", I believe I've never bothered to see if I can play audio CD's from it.

Recently, I added a 2nd optical drive (according to CD Player - CD-RW CRX216E) that once was fully functional in another PC.  Please assume that I added the second drive correctly from a h/w perspective - i.e., jumpers and cables are NOW all correct.  (I had initially reversed the sequence of the master and slave units on the ribbon cable.)

Now, I am trying to get the darn thing to play regular audio CD's -- I'm using a regular store-bought copy of an audio CD that plays just fine on EVERY other machine at home, including an FC4 "desktop" -- and I get problems with CD Player, Totem and Music Player:

* CD Player - can read the track information, but cannot play any of the songs.  None of the buttons are greyed out, but "play", "fwd" and even using the slide bar has no effect on getting it to play.  BTW - it doesn't even go through the motions of playing - i.e., it is NOT the case that the slide bar moves and no sound comes out - it truly seems not to work.
* Totem can't seem to run.  It tries to start up, but then quickly dies with the following message: "Resource busy or not available".
* I pulled up firefox to play an mp3 off the internet, and Music Player complained with the following error message: "Internal GStreamer error: negotiation (or pad) problem.  File a bug."  I think I applied the correct RPM's.  The only one I'm not sure of is this: gstreamer-plugins-mp3-0.8.8-0.lvn.1.4.i386.rpm.  Should I have used an i686 version?  Here is the output of 'uname -a': Linux numenor.steven-c-liu.com 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4 #1 Wed Mar 1 23:41:37 EST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Do I have an actual hardware problem?  How can I isolate a hardware problem from a software configuration problem?  When installing FC4 from DVD, isn't there an audio test?  Do I need to run MAKEDEV?  (I think not.)

I tried to back out of my hardware changes - i.e., unplugging the new optical drive and plugging the cables into teh original drive exactly as it was in the beginning -- and still no success.

Help please.  TIA,

Steve