Re: Rpms for 'Other' distributions

On Sunday 12 March 2006 15:44, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 15:30 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > When I can't find a package with yum, I wonder whether it is safe to
> > install a package simply designated 'Other' such as
> >
> > Other
> > ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/i/im/imgseek/imgSeek-0.8.2-1.i386.rpm
> >
> > I assume these packages are safe enough, but does it mean that they are
> > so generic that they will work, but not necessarily be optimised?
>
> ----
> how can we evaluate whether a package is 'safe' if we don't know the
> package? If you believe that all binaries on sourceforge are 'safe' -
> then by all means install it.
>
> If you are looking for a generic rpm, that is a source rpm which you
> rebuild on your system - which is always the best thing to do.
>
> There are things such as 'noarch' rpms which are typically
> php/perl/text/shell scripts or other compiled on the fly programs but
> binaries by nature are compiled by specific versions of the C compiler
> and not generally mobile between OS's unless they use something 'known'
> as in compat-libstdc++ (which is how the 'proprietary' software vendors
> would likely supply their binaries).

Makes sense.  I don't know whether this is worth spending time in searching.
I read a review a while back, and thought that this package may help me
identify multiple copies of .jpgs, but there doesn't seem to be an FC4 rpm of
it.  I'll poke around a bit more and see if anything similar is available.

Anne