Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

--- Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 18:09 -0600, Les Mikesell
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 08:48, Craig White wrote:
> >
> > > If you except the notion that Fedora is 'cutting
> edge' technology, then
> > > you would understand the notion that the
> developers are going to change
> > > things for the betterment of the overall product
> as opposed to not
> > > keeping things the same merely to meet people's
> expectations.
> >
> > Or they are making changes just to be making
> changes.  Removing
> > options and moving things around might not bother
> a new user
> > but it can't be for the betterment of someone
> already running
> > a current version.  Consider that Sun claims that
> you can run
> > any program written for 2.6 (released in 1996)
> under the current
> > Solaris 10.  You don't have to break existing
> conventions,
> > documented interfaces, and API's to make
> improvements.
> ----
> this is so absurd that I have to respond. When the
> objectives for Fedora
> are remotely similar to those of Sun's, then it
> might be plausible
> statement. Since the objectives for Fedora are
> nothing even remotely
> similar, comparing Fedora to Sun Solaris is wholly
> and completely
> absurd.
>
> If you want to believe that developers are making
> changes just to be
> making changes, then there is little I am going to
> say that changes your
> mind.
>
> Craig
>
> --

This topic has its pros and cons.  It was an
unexpected change that bothers many people.  Many
people were confortable using the Custom -> Everything
Install, while some others use the Custom -> minimal
install for the past Fedora Core releases.  And then
enabling yum to install the *missing pieces/wanted
pieces*.  This topic will probably get hotter as Core
5 is released.

Anyhow we should not take any issues/insults personal!
 We are all Fedora Core users and what suits us does
not necessarily suit all.  The members of this list
have been very helpful and resourceful from both sides
of this heated "Everything Install" argument.  Please
let us not waste too much time on hard issues such as
this.  Time is only thing that will determine the
outcome of this very questionable change.

Best Regards,

Antonio