Re: Backup

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 21:04 +0000, Jim Douglas wrote:
> Can anyone suggest the best wat to backup my Fedora Server?
>
> I have about 8GB being used.
>
> A simple, cheap backup/restore solution in case my hard drive failes.

If a hard drive failure is your main concern, I'd have thought RAID to
be the obvious simple solution.  If a drive fails, you simply switch to
the other drive (or it does that for you), throw away the dud, and put
in a new spare drive for the RAID to incorporate into itself.

That method doesn't involve any complex recovering from a non-working
system issues.  There's no waiting while you get yourself a new working
drive.  There's no waiting for a backup to restore to a new drive.  And,
if all goes well, there's no loss of data between the failure time and
when the last back-up was done.

I read messages from the public lists.