Re: Samba problem needs translation

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 19:43 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 10 March 2006 19:18, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> >
> > It looks like samba is having trouble finding the Master Browser.  It is
> > possible that there is not one on that subnet.  If you do not have a
> > smb.conf line: wins server = 1.2.3.4
> > (Where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the master browser) you might try that.
> > If you do have a wins server line, it would be some kind of communication
> > problem.
> >
> We have never used a wins server in the past, and I know nothing about it.
> I'll take a good look at Using Samba and see what I can learn.
>
> From my memory of old logs, the box that is causing me grief (a W2K box) was
> always trying to grab the Master status from my server.  I guess that this is
> what is happening here.
>
> So - the log I quoted is from the samba server.  The samba server should stay
> the master browser (fingers crossed).  I'll try adding the samba server IP
> into the wins server line.
----
ok - you mean on the Windows systems...yes, that should do unless you
are doing dhcp server in which case, you can simply add a directive in
dhcp...

option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.1;

where you put the samba server (also WINS server) ip address

but os level > 33 pretty much insures that the samba server wins the
browser elections against Windows workstations

Craig