Re: Addressing a SCSI film-scanner - SUCCESS!

On Friday 10 March 2006 12:18, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 13:03, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> > I have had somewhat similar problems with a Umax 1200S SCSI scanner.  It
> > is supported by SANE, when it's detected by the SCSI driver.  However,
> > it is rarely detected.  I found that cycling the power on the scanner
> > prior to loading the SCSI module (Adaptec or BusLogic, in my case) seems
> > to make things work until the scanner goes into power saving mode, or
> > whatever turns off the light.  After that, the scanner no longer appears
> > to exist.  In my case the scanner is not detected during the BIOS scan,
> > unless I cycle the scanner's power prior to booting the computer.
> >

> Hi, Bob.  From what I've read, it's not unusual for scanners to be too slow
> announcing themselves.  You've nothing to lose by going through the steps
> to get it recognised then inserting the sleep line into your start-up
> scripts. The rescan script that I mentioned was very helpful too.

One other thing comes to mind.  My scanner was shipped with an Adaptec SCSi
card.  It was fine as long as I only wanted to run the scanner alone with the
software provided.  It turned out that Adaptec make/made a number of cards
that were non-standard.  If they caused problems under windows I think it's
highly likely that they wouldn't work properly with linux either.  Unless
you've actually had that scanner running with linux I'd beg borrow or steal a
different card, and see if that helps.

Anne