Re: PnP and Linux vis a vis Linksys Ether16 (LNE2000)

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Anyway, thanks to the kind message sent by William Hooper,
> I have my card up and running the diagnostics from Linksys,
> connected to my router. So far, no errors reported. Now I
> need to figure out how to set up MicroSoft LANMAN on that
> machine, and configure FC2 to be a SAMBA server. I'm going
> to let the diagnostics run for a few hours, first. I saw a
> good deal on that card a few years ago ($1.00 USD) and
> grabbed it up, but I've never actually installed it, and I'd
> like a little burn in before getting more software involved.
>
> Hadda pull my Thin Net (10 Base 2) card out of that machine,
> because my router only supports 10/100 Base T. Thankfully,
> my Linksys card also has a coax connector, so I can use
> either cable.

When you go to set up LANMAN, make sure you have the TCP/IP
protocol installed. If I remember right, it is on an extra
floppy. It has been a while, but from what I remember, the
default installation did not include TCP/IP and you need
that to talk to Samba. Also, unless you need them for something
else, remove the other protocols to same a bit of memory.

Mikkel