Re: Enable/Disable GUI on bootup

Tim Alberts wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote ..

In the file /etc/inittab you have a line:

id:5:initdefault:

Change the 5 to a 3 to disable the GUI startup.

To switch between runlevels 5 and 3 without rebooting (which is
what you are trying to do), use "telinit 3" to go to runlevel 3 (no
GUI), and "telinit 5" to go to runlevel 5 (GUI).

That's really what I was looking for '/etc/inittabl' ->
id:3:initdefault:

I was previously under the impression that switching from run level
5-3 I might loose some server apps such as MySQL or other.
Apparently the only thing that is in run level 5 'should be' GUI and
X Windows then, correct?

Are there dangers with using the telinit command?  I have vague
memories of reading an article that says this is a 'lower level
command' and it is used as more of a last resort?  I'm wondering if
what another suggestion of 'run init 3' is the preferred command?

'run'?

telinit can change levels to:
0 shutdown
1 single user mode (i.e. root only)
2 multiuser, w/o networking
3 multiuser
5 XWindows
6 restart

For 0 and 6, the shutdown command is sometimes preferred (or using
a gui on a single user machine), since it does handy things like
send warning messages to users and allow you to set a delay.  Maybe
that's what you read?  The other one is that 'init' will start a run-
level without shutting down services for the current one, which can
cause complications, whereas 'telinit' is intended to change run-
levels.

--
imalone