Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

--- Tony Molloy <tony.molloy@xxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 March 2006 15:35, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> Having been through all this already on another list
> I'v stayed out of
> this thread. But here goes. ;-)

> check all of the boxes
> as the old everything
>
> There's no way to do that,  You just go through them
> 1 by 1. And it's not
> the same as an everything install. I did it with
> FC5-T2 and found there
> were over 800 packages from the iso's not installed
> even though I checked
> everything manually.
>

> > > You've just made the point for the other side.
> Even if you have an
> > > everything button it doesn't/can't install
> everything because come
> > > things conflict with others.
>
> Not with a new release, FC1-4 just installed
> everything when you asked it.
> No conflicts that I can remember. Even when you did
> an NFS install from
> an updated tree.
>
> FC-5 has problems with GFS package conflicts and
> some others but that's a
> distribution problem not a problem with an
> everything install.
>

> > Something that was never a problem for all the
> previous versions
> > that did have an 'everything' choice whose only
> problem was
> > installing all of the languages even though you
> had already
> > selected the one you wanted at an earlier install
> step...
> >

> That's exactly right. What would be very useful is
> an "Everything Install"
> that installed everything but only the languages and
> locales you have
> choosen.
>
> But this battle has already been lost on another
> list ;-(

The battle was never lost, it just had no chances to
begin with.  They(Fedora Developers) were going to do
away with the "Everything Install" anyway.  The
arguments for and against it were discussed, but the
end result was the same.  When Fedora Core 5 comes
out, I wonder how many people are going to complain
about exactly this issue?

Too many clicks to install everything per group and in
the end, everything was not installed**?

I just hope that they do not drop tetex, and tetex*
from the base cd's/dvd.  Yum installing tetex, would
probably take a long time through dialup.

Many things are getting fixed, while other things are
done away with.  It is hard to please everyone.

Regards,

Antonio