Re: Probably silly Q

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 08:53, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 08:44 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >----
>> >Let's keep this on list OK?
>>
>> Sorry.
>>
>> >Firewall on Linux system blocking port 514 protocol UDP?
>>
>> Not that I'm aware of, and if it blocked it, it would log it I
>> believe.
>>
>> >Logging will go into /var/log/messages unless you redirect it via
>> >syslog.conf # man syslog.conf
>>
>> No redirections that I'm aware of, watching the directory for
>> growing files, and tail of all.log only shows a bunch of New not SYN
>> stuff being dropped.
>>
>> >Is there actually traffic ? you can use something like ethereal to
>> > trace activity between router & Linux system
>>
>> I can see traffic being logged by the router itself by clicking on
>> its incoming and outgoing buttons, then clicking each's refresh to
>> update the display.  Incoming is all torrent related as I'm seeding
>> ubuntu, outgoing is showing much more, but none of it is making it
>> to a logfile that I can find.  Perhaps /etc/syslog.conf isn't the
>> place to add that -r?
>
>----
>I suppose if that were the proper place to put it, the command would
> be listed in the man pages for syslog.conf
>
>of course it's not the correct place to put the '-r', the proper place
>is in the command used to launch syslogd which would generally be the
>sysconfig for syslogd but on a RH 7.3, that may not exist and you
> might have to insert it into /etc/init.d/ - I don't know, I've long
> since retired all my RH 7.x systems

I've now inserted it into the OPTIONS line of /etc/init.d/syslog and
restarted it, with no visible effect other than the restart noted in
the logs.  tcpdump -i eth0 -p udp is picking up some 'snmptrap' stuff
though.  See my other msg from 5 minutes ago.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: