Oiy!... After todays yum update, LVM fails to find drives on 2nd VG.

I was running great up till todays yum update to kernel 2025, et al.

First reboot after the update failed right after setting hostname thusly:
---------------------
Setting up Logical Volume Management: 2 logical volumes(s) in volume group
"VolGroup00" now active

  /dev/VolGroup01: mkdir failed: Permission denied
  1 logical volumes(s) in volume group "VolGroup01" now active
                                                         [ OK ]

Checking filesystems
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open
/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
                                                         [ FAILED ]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
---------------------

I have 3 identical 30GB Maxtors in this vanilla configuration:
 - drive 1
 - dvdrom
 - drive 2
 - drive 3

with drives 2 and 3 on VolGroup01 stripped as LogVol00. No RAID.

Short of pulling drives 2&3 out, is there anything I can try here?

I tried putting a 'sleep 10' into the rc.sysinit script prior to fsck, but
I can't save anything back as vi complains that its 'Unable to open swap
file for "rc.sysinit", recovery impossible'.

Also, when I enter the root mode, lvm does nothing useful, complaining
about 'Locking type 1 initialisation failed.' to a vgscan, for example.

All suggestions welcome. I was getting confident enough in FC5T3 that I
(naturally) put my vmware images on that buggered volume group. Serves me
right, I guess.