Re: How to strip the vanilla kernel modules on FC4?

Michael,

 Thanks for your reply.

 But I really need to squeeze the disk space occupied
by custom vanilla kernel, I have a batch legacy
machines will a very small / partitions but the
vanilla kernel I've compiled occupied 200MB+ disk
space, even bigger than both FC4 UP and SMP kernels
added together, although I have much less selected
options.

 I understand that we need to have some symbols
included in kernel modules, but it should not make so
big disk space difference between vanilla kernel and
FC4 stock kernel.

 I tried to stripped the kernel directory, but then
system fails to load any modules...

 How to let the vanilla to occupying less space if we
can not use "strip"??? If there are any "make strip"
or "make module_strip" options in vanilla kernel
building?

[root@testnode01 scsi]# find
/lib/modules/<custom_vanilla_kernel> -type f -name
'*.ko' |xargs strip

[root@testnode01 scsi]# modprobe sata_sis.ko
insmod: error inserting 'sata_sis.ko': -1 Invalid
module format

[root@testnode01 scsi]# tail -1 /var/log/messages
Mar  7 17:41:08 testnode01 kernel: sata_sis: module
has no symbols (stripped?)

Thanks.