Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Tim:
>> Heck, the last time I installed FC4 there wasn't even an option about
>> what language I wanted to use.  It must be skipped depending on which
>> type of installation you're going to do.

Anne Wilson:
> Couldn't say - but I did an FC4 install yesterday and I was asked.

It seems to depend on what your starting installation point was
(workstation, etc.), whichever one it was I don't recall now.  That
seems really stupid to me, you ought to get asked such basic questions
like that straight away.  Related to that is things like setting your
timezone.  It'd make good sense for picking one to lead to the default
choice for the locale.

e.g. If I pick Australia/Adelaide as my timezone, the most obvious first
choice that ought to picked by default when it comes to language and
locale is English Australian, not bloody USA.

>> And is there a way to pick a Locale from inside Gnome?  Nup.  You've got
>> to do that before you log in from the GDM screen.  Not very good design.

> Blame Gnome for that.  KDE manages it.

Fair enough, I will.  But I can't see anything that explains how to set
it via CLI, either.  You've got to know which particular file inside
the /etc structure to hand-modify from other sources of information.

It's such a basic thing, but so seriously overlooked by the
distribution.

I read messages from the public lists.