Re: multiple root accounts

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 13:32 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> azeem ahmad wrote:

> > making alias to 0, how it could be done?
> > and also the scenario is someone once changed my machine's root
> > password. now if i had another root account i could access my machine
> > and reset root password again
>
> If this is all you want then I suggest you either use a
> rescue CDROM like KNOPPIX, or, if you can't take the
> downtime, then put those users into the sudoers file.
>
> Making aliases for user 0 is not the optimal solution
> to this problem. Using sudo is probably your best option.

Actually, no need to use a rescue CD if you need to recover root
password.  Boot the system and append single to the kernel command line.
This will bring the system up in single user mode at the root prompt.
You can then use passwd to change the roots password and do any other
maintenance needed.

The OP should look at using sudo or teaching the users to use su -
if/when they need to do something with root privileges.