Re: mplayer

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 09:34 +0000, Leon wrote:
> brouwers roland lx <roland@xxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On a RH Fedora3: I installed MPlayer and I can open wmv files while
> > clicking on the right mouse button.  A click directly opens a message
> > window saying
> >
> > "The filename "ZLATAN2.wmv" indicates that this file is of type
> > "Microsoft WMV video".  The contents of the file indicate that the
> > file is of type "Microsoft ASF video". If you open this file, the file
> > might present a security risk to your system.  Do not open the file
> > unless you created the file yourself, or received the file from a
> > trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to the correct
> > extension for "Microsoft ASF video", then open the file
> > normally. Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific
> > application for the file."
> >
> > I did the same installation on a CENTOS installation and there it
> > works.
> >
> > What is the difference?
> >
> > Roland Brouwers C.A.T. bvba Antwerp-Belgium roland@xxxxxx
>
> If you look at the head of ZLATAN2.wmv (open with a text editor), you
> may find something about the filetype. Some mimetypes are defined as
> what is indicated in the first few lines of the file instead of its
> extension.

Try a file command on some specific file and see what it says, then
change the extension and do the same again. The identified file type is
not determined only by the extension as you would find out, and as Leon
said above.
In *nix systems file types are NOT identified only by the extension as
they are in the windows world and this warning is telling you the file
type is not properly designated by the extension.

Wmv video and asf video are two entirely different animals handled by
different codecs and can have different risks associated.