Re: A couple of questions

IMO you have to create new user names in your FC5 installation. /home/usernames has many hidden files and folders keeping settings and preferences of your programs / executables. Finding one to one compatibility between ubuntu and fedora settings is difficult.
Suggest that you retain only your old user data files in /home and take appropriate care of old setting files.

/root is a new username in your FC5 installation so it works OK. So will other newusernames if U create them in FC5.

HTH.