Re: [FC4] Thunderbird-1.5 rpm?

taharka wrote:
How do,

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 16:11 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 14:07 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:

Stuart Sears wrote:

On Thursday 02 March 2006 01:00, M. Lewis decided we wanted to hear the following:

Thanks Taharka. Had I ever created an rpm, that would probably be a good
solution. Unfortunately I haven't and I didn't see any instructions
there for doing so. If you have a pointer to some instructions that
would be helpful.

the instructions are at (nearly) the same location as the rpm...
http://www.fedoranews.org/tchung/thunderbird/
including the source files you need to create your rpm.

but in brief...
This all applies to a user called 'stuart'. You'll need to adjust it for a *non-privileged* user on your system. Do NOT build rpms as the 'root' user. you can also use a directory name other than REDHAT. that's just what I tend to use. The other directory names (SPECS etc) are not customisable without a greate deal of messing about.

1. create a file in your home directory called .rpmmacros
it should contain:
%_topdir /home/stuart/REDHAT

2. now create a basic build tree
mkdir -p /home/stuart/REDHAT/{RPMS,SRPMS,SOURCES,BUILD,SPECS}

3. put everything in place:
put  the thunderbird.spec file into /home/stuart/REDHAT/SPECS
cp the 3 source files thunderbird-1.5.tar.gz, thunderbird.png and thunderbird.desktop into /home/stuart/REDHAT/SOURCES

4. now use the thunderbird.spec file to build the rpm:
rpmbuild -bb /home/stuart/REDHAT/SPECS/thunderbird.spec

which, if all goes well, should create loads of output and then eventually write the file
/home/stuart/REDHAT/RPMS/i386/thunderbird-1.5-1.i386.rpm

ps setting up the build environment as in steps 1 and 2 above can also be done by using yum to install a development-specific rpm.
yum install fedora-rpmdevtools
and then fedora-buildrpmtree
I've just always done this manually...
Regards

Stuart

Very cool. Thanks Stuart. One question, why do not build the rpm as the root user?

Mainly for protection against poorly-written specfiles and Makefiles,
which could end up clobbering bits of your system if you build packages
as root. By building packages as a regular user, you won't be
overwriting any files that you don't have write permission for. It's
even worth considering creating a separate account just for
package-building.

Paul.

Thanks Paul for the good explanation.

Also, you may want to browse the articles at;
www.fedoranews.org/articles There's a treasure trove of info there :-)
Should be an article regarding setting up an RPM build directory there.

Here's one I prepared earlier:

http://www.city-fan.org/tips/CreateRPMBuildEnvironment

Doesn't say much more than what Stuart posted though.

Paul.