Re: Ideal Server Hardware Choice

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 17:56 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> In case you get Dell, read these articles:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=3243
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=3262
> The articles are a few years old now, but the gist is that Dell have
> been known to use standard ATX physical power connectors, but wired to
> Dell standards. So you can plug them into other manufacturers kit, and
> quite possible wave goodbye to both power supply and motherboard.

Well that's a piece of information I did not have.  Thank you for that.
Fortunately the only Dell systems we've had to date have been
workstations for email and haven't needed repair, they're just going
obsolete.

> My experience with name brand systems has been that you need support
> contracts anyway -- there's too much custom-designed stuff inside, and
> the only easy way to get spare parts is through official support.

This is certainly the reason we haven't dealt with name brand pre-built
systems yet.  Pre-built systems do tend to be proprietary, I think the
hope/perception is that they've taken the extra time to certify that the
hardware they do put together is 100% compatible and even specifically
designed to work as an optimized system.  This could eliminate any risk
of incompatibilities with custom built systems where tolerance
calculations my be just a little out of range.

> As for the original question, I'd be cautious about SATA adapters. In
> particular, I understand you can't install Fedora Core 4 using SATA CD
> drives or DVD drives (because the libata drivers in the Fedora install
> media don't support ATAPI, which CD and DVD drives need). And there have
> been some people reporting that the FC4 install media won't detect the
> SATA adapters on the latest nForce 4x0 motherboards (nForce 4 seems to
> be OK.)

Well i haven't heard about that either.  I will definately have to
remember that.  We have SATA systems going and we know that the
smartmontools seems to have some incompatiblities with SATA still.
Specifically:

Mar  2 10:35:20 msi2 smartd[6218]: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed
via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is
given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device
type will be added to smartmontools.

Hopefully this will happen some day soon.

> For what it's worth, my company's experience with the local dealers
> ended during the days of AMD K6 processors. They were all buying
> motherboards (mostly from PCChips), based on the cheap and *extremely*
> tacky SiS chipsets of the day. This cut around £20 off the cost of a
> system, and left us with unreliable junk that was *just* about reliable
> enough that we couldn't take it back. Until one of the on-board Ethernet
> adapters went wrong, taking down the entire network. We ended up
> rebuilding the worst four around Gigabyte motherboards with Via
> chipsets.
>
> We found it surprisingly difficult to find suppliers who would
> consistently use quality hardware: if you tried to buy more expensive
> machines, you'd just get faster processors, larger disks and more memory
> on the same cheap motherboards. Since then we've been building our own
> systems around "name brand" components (Kingston or Crucial memory, Asus
> or Gigabyte motherboards, etc) and have had very few problems.
>
> But then, you'll notice I'm in the UK too:

hee hee hee touche!