Re: Yum better than RPM?

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 12:08, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> > > Oh, so the reason you like 64-bit is that the libs use
> > > less ram? That's the first I've heard that...
> > >

> > if i load a 64 bit library... and have to load the 32 bit one aswell
> > cause i need the backwards stuff i waste ram for the 32 bit lib ;).
>
> since i fear you dont get it again i am going to explain by example rather
>
> lets take a browser that uses the gtk library... lots of desktop apps
> i use need the 64 bit version... now a 32 bit browser like e.g. galeon
> needs 32bit gtk... so both are loaded... loading one lib 2 times is
> overhead in my eyes that is avoidable and proprietary stuff again is
> anyways just a workaround not a solution.
>
> disagree again? ;)

True enough, but exactly the same argument applies to running
apps that need gtk along with apps that need qt or a different
toolkit.  And I suspect both problems will be solved in about
the same timeframe.

Perhaps you could put a dollar value on the RAM used and
offer that as a bribe to the distributor to build you
a 64-bit version.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx