Re: Info about fedora and dell inspiron 630m

S. Cesaretti wrote:

> When the system asks login the keyboard doesn't write in random way.
> one time it writes and onother time it doesn't write.
> How can I solve this problem?
> I would try to update the kernel but It's really difficult because the
> system doesn't work correctly as I said.

If you can manage to enable ssh (port 22) on the laptop's firewall, you
should be able to ssh into the laptop from another machine with a
working keyboard.  That will take the sting from the problem while you
examine it.  You can open the firewall port by hand with

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
service iptables save

> At the end, what is the last versione available for the kernel for
> fedora that I can install with yum?

FC3 isn't a great choice at the moment because it is deprecated by
Redhat (although supported for security updates by another group if you
add their repo to your /etc/yum.repos.d/ )

What I would do is first though is try to boot the kernel with acpi=off
on the kernel commandline.  Do this by pressing 'A' at the grub prompt,
and adding

acpi=off

to the commandline.  Another thing to try is that maybe the problem with
the keyboard only comes when X is started, so remove

rhgb

from the kernel commandline in grub as described above, and add

3

and see if that makes any difference to the keyboard functionality.

-Andy