Re: Ad-hoc or Managed WiFi mode?

John Summerfied wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I'm running my desktop WiFi card in Ad-hoc mode,
>> but for some curious reason  my laptop only works well
>> if set to Managed mode.
>> It works sporadically if set to Ad-hoc mode.
>>
>> I'm puzzled by this;
>> it doesn't really matter, as it seems to work perfectly in this way.
>> But I'd be interested to know why.
>>
>> I should say that both the cards are Orinoco Gold (Classic),
>> the one in the desktop being in a PCI-to-PCMCIA adaptor.
>> I'm running FC-4.
>>
> "Managed" is for use with an access point.

I know that is the theory.
That is why I am puzzled that my laptop card
only works in Managed mode with my desktop in Ad-hoc mode.

> "Ad hoc" is for use betweeu (typically) peecees and such without using
> an access point. I'd not expect a wireless device configured "ad hoc" to
> talk especially well to an access point.

I don't have an access point.

> "Master" configures the device as an access point. You should be able to
> configure either one of your Orinoccos as "Master" and the other
> "Managed."

Sadly this is not possible, at least with the orinoco_cs driver
in the kernel.

Or rather, if anyone is able to do this -
run the Orinoco Classic Gold or Silver card in Master mode -
I should be very interested to hear.

> "Monitor" is used by software such as Kismet to sniff the air
> and see what traffic's about. Good for conducting a security audit of your
> neighbourhood to discover rogue users and access points.

I tried the hostap driver,
but it did not seem to work with the Orinoco cards.
Is there any hope that it will?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366