Boot Problems

I have been running Fedora Core 4.  Recently I updated a lot of packages
and also the kernel and so decided to reboot the machine so as to run
the new kernel.  Everything went fine through the boot process.  All
services loaded correctly.  After the HAL daemon loaded, my computer
just hung.  The cursor would not move and would not respond to any key
strokes.

I booted from the rescue disk and all my files are on the disk and I do
not see any problems.  Out of frustration, I updated to Fedora Core 5.
The update proceeded without problems but upon reboot the machine hung
at the same point.

Has anyone else experienced this?

--
Wojciech Komornicki