Re: [FC4] System locks up when booting installation DVD

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:24:57AM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 18:12 +0100, Carsten Gaebler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I boot FC4 from the installation DVD, the boot messages read

> > Ready
> >
> > Then the screen becomes blank with a blinking cursor and the system is
> > locked up. The only thing I can do is reset the machine through the reset
> > button.
> >
> > Any hints?
>
> Sounds like a GUI issue.  Try installing in text mode.  It would also
> be of help if you'd describe your system (motherboard make, hard drives,
> memory, CPU, etc.)
That depends on whether it freezes before of after the media check. If
before it is not using X so the GUI can't be the problem.
It used to be that running the install with a nodma option could fix
things like this. At least I think it was nodma. Does anyone else
remember? There also was a another  trick using a garbage parameter
and the next boot worked. But the memory of this is also vague.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484