Re: Proxy authentication on console

Deboo ^ wrote:
> How to use proxy authentication with lynx/links/elinks? I have googled a lot
> about this but couldn't find a eral solution. Putting "export HTTP_PROXY=
> user:password@proxy:port in.bashrc doesn't seem to work. I get an access
> denied page. Is there no solution to this? Do we need to use X apps only to
> use a proxy?

$ cd /usr/bin/
$ strings lynx | grep -i http_proxy
http_proxy
$ strings links | grep -i http_proxy
http_proxy
HTTP_PROXY
If it's blank, HTTP_PROXY environment variable is checked as well.
$ strings elinks | grep -i http_proxy
http_proxy
HTTP_PROXY
If it's blank, HTTP_PROXY environment variable is checked as well.

It looks like lynx only looks for http_proxy, not HTTP_PROXY.

Have you checked
echo $http_proxy
before running the program to make sure it's set to what you think it
is?

Does your password include any symbols? Many of them will interact with
bash, and will need to be properly quoted.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Granary:            old folks' home
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Dilate:             live long