Re: Newbie Questions

Also http://www.fedorasolved.com has some useful solutions for common (and uncommon) issues.

Andy Goss wrote:

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:46:26 -0600
From: "Timothy Brooks" <cera_linux@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Newbie Questions
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

I am about as new as they come.  I have downloaded Fedora and am about to
install.  I have a Windows 98 machine and am not sure if I want to set up a
dual boot or just put Fedora on this computer.  It is an older machine
(500MHz, 128 RAM) but I would like to see what Linux/Fedora is like.  What
would you recommend?

I need some instructions on installation of Fedora from a hard drive.  The
instruction with Fedora are too limited for me.  Can someone please direct
me to a more detailed source.

Do I need to burn the .iso files to CDs?  I understand you cannot just copy
these files, that they need to be copied as .iso images, correct?  What does
what I just said mean?  Copy as an "image".  Is there a setting in my CD
burning program that I need to use?

I think these questions help the group understand my level, which is very
Newbie.

Does Fedora have programs with it?  Does it include a browser or program to
check email?  Word processing?  Or will I need to find Linux software for
this computer?

Sorry for the simplicity of my questions but as they say, you need to start
somewhere.

Thank you for any direction.

Tim Brooks

Before you do anything drastic, take a look at:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html
http://www.fedorafaq.org/
http://www.fedoraforum.org/
http://fedora.redhat.com/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ - there is a Newbie forum and a
Fedora forum

If you are going to partition your existing drive, http://www.sysresccd.org/Index.en.php
is invaluable. Note that you should do a defrag first.

Andy Goss