Re: Newbie Questions

Timothy Brooks wrote ..
> Hello,
>
> I am about as new as they come.  I have downloaded Fedora and am about
> install.  I have a Windows 98 machine and am not sure if I want to set
> up a
> dual boot or just put Fedora on this computer.  It is an older machine
> (500MHz, 128 RAM) but I would like to see what Linux/Fedora is like.  What
> would you recommend?

Not really a recommendation, but I usually run windows and linux on different hard drives.

Dual boot is not all that difficult.  If you have only one hard drive and that drive has only one partition (if you know what that means), I would recommend just running linux for simplicity.

If you have only one hard drive and it has only one partition (which windows always does), get a second hard drive or partition the drive.  Partitioning a drive usually results in the data on the drive being lost.  I've heard you can repartition without loosing data, but I never tried it.

My STRONGEST RECOMMENDATION is to have 2 computers one linux and one windows so you can keep your windows system running in order to get email and get help from this email list if you have troubles installing/running linux.  That is, until you are comfortable with Linux.

> I need some instructions on installation of Fedora from a hard drive.
> The
> instruction with Fedora are too limited for me.  Can someone please direct
> me to a more detailed source.

I think you should burn the images to a CD and install from CD's.  I honestly wouldn't try it any other way.

> Do I need to burn the .iso files to CDs?  I understand you cannot just
> copy
> these files, that they need to be copied as .iso images, correct?  What
> does
> what I just said mean?  Copy as an "image".  Is there a setting in my CD
> burning program that I need to use?

Most windows CD burning programs will recognize a ISO image file and automatically configure themseles to write the data to a CD.  Programs like Nero running on windows can do this.

> I think these questions help the group understand my level, which is very
> Newbie.

We all started somewhere.  Congratulations on at least starting.

> Does Fedora have programs with it?  Does it include a browser or program
> check email?  Word processing?  Or will I need to find Linux software for
> this computer?

Linux comes with so many programs you won't know what to do with it all.  Typically, firefox is used as the web browser and OpenOffice is my personal preference for office programs that come with Fedora linux.  Both of these can also be run under windows.

Also included are development tools, games, and multimedia for listening to music and watching movies.