Re: samba shares in FC4

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 12:31 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 25 February 2006 05:32, Tim wrote:
> > Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> >
> > Anne Wilson:
> > > Yes, I have an account in smbpasswd, and I can browse all the other
> > > shares.  I can browse my own home directory if I go in via another share.
> > >  It's just that my home directory does not show up in any browser.
> >
> > If you're talking about doing this with Windows and Linux, I would think
> > that you'd need to be using the same username and password on the box
> > that you're logged into, and the box running the samba server, for your
> > home space to turn up in the browse list.  When Windows browses what's
> > available it supplies username and password for the current logon to the
> > remote end.  The remote end (Samba) returns what it thinks is suitable.
> >
> Sort of - in win98 and earlier you could only login to a samba share with the
> login credentials that you were using on your own box.  This isn't true of
> w2k or xp.
>
> Actually, though, it's irrelevant at this point.  Most of the connections are
> made linux to linux, so I need those working first.  Once I'm happy with that
> I'll turn my attention to the sporadic windows connections.
>
> > This also seems to be a simple way of snaffling up user credentials,
> > just by putting a box on the same LAN and waiting for others to connect
> > to you.  Though I think it'd only be effective if you were using
> > unencrypted passwords.
> >
> I have been using samba connections for years, and the annouce service has
> always worked well.
>
> My frustrations are definitely fedora-related.  Every box on the lan has a
> public directory (and therefore every linux box has a samba service to
> control it).  Konqueror's LAN browser can see the Mandriva boxes on the LAN,
> but not the Fedora ones or the Windows ones.  The samba shares are working -
> they can be mounted manually.  I simply want user-friendly browsing to work.
----
The thing that promotes sanity in a networked environment like this is
to use LDAP to unify everything so that there is consistency across the
network in terms of uid's/gid's & passwords.

If you were to go to LDAP, you could unify the passwords so that the
each 'posix' user's password were the same as their samba password to
minimize confusion and more importantly, files they created on one
system would have the same uid and gid values on another.

The point is by using the more complicated LDAP setup, you simplify
everything else.

Craig