Re: Is SELinux resetting permissions?

On Sunday 26 February 2006 11:34, Anne Wilson wrote:
> SELinux is installed but disabled, according to
> system-config-services,
I hope you mean system-config-securitylevel :)
getenforce (as root) will confirm this for you. It will report
Disabled, Permissive, or Enforcing.
only the 3rd of these will cause SElinux to forbid actions on your
system.
is this FC3 or FC4 or one of the FC5 test releases?
> yet I have problems with permissions which
> appear to get re-set.  When I change the permissions attributes of a
> folder I always get an error dialogue.  The perms appear to change,
> but later I find that they have been re-set.  This makes sharing
> folders difficult if I want to enforce owner/group attributes.
which folders* are these?
do they belong to you (your current logged-in user)?
how are you changing their permissions?
I assume from your message that you are using a graphical file manager
to do this?
are they mountpoints created automatically by udev?
exactly what do the error messages say?

> Is this being caused by SELinux or something else?
are you seeing errors in /var/log/audit/audit.log?
AFAIK SElinux does not change the standard UNIX-style permissions on
files or directories.

Regards

Stuart
* personal bugbear|prejudice... 'directories', not 'folders'. :-)
--
Stuart Sears RHCA, RHCX
"It's today!" said Piglet.