Re: HELP!! squid dead, /var: Read-only & smartd is confusing

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 23:15 +0000, Laurence Orchard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 22:51 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:09 +0000, Laurence Orchard wrote:
> > > I am not sure that this IS a hardware problem.
> > > smartd initially started complaining about /dev/hdf, this is a single
> > > filesystem disc of 120Mb that I used only for backup. As I said I
> > > remade the filesystem & checked it, but it found NO errors.
> > > At the moment it is not used and has not been used since it was
> > > remade, but smartd is still complaining of pending sectors.
> >
> > A file system might still work, for now, on a drive with hardware
> > errors.  Drives try to hide disk errors from you as much as possible,
> > but there's a limit.
> >
> > If you're not sure about smartd's report, you could try a few things:
> >
> > Make sure that drive's the only one on the cable, so you don't have some
> > other drive confusing things.  If you still get errors, it makes that
> > drive, or the interface, suspicious.  Try the drive plugged in somewhere
> > else to eliminate the interface.
> >
> > Go to the website for your drive's manufacturer, and download there own
> > diagnostic tool.  If that throws up warnings, then be quite concerned
> > that your drive is unreliable.
> >
> > --
> > Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
> > I read messages from the public lists.
> >
> Ok, I have spent the afternoon running IBM's Drive Fitness Test &
> Western Digital's Diag program. Neither found any errors on the drives
> even when running the extended tests which read every sector on the
> disc.

You indicate that the drive is not used at present.
Have you tried the read/write tests?  That is more thorough than the
read only tests, but of course is data destructive so should not be used
on a drive containing data that should be kept.

smartctl also has a lot of testing capabilities and can tell you exactly
what smartd is reporting as failure cause.

hdparm also has testing and reporting capabilities.