Re: Query about Xvid avi codecs

Vikram Goyal wrote:
Hello,

I have a movie of Xvid avi format which I wanted to burn on a cd for
standalone cdplayer.

I have a no. of queries:

1} Will Xvid run on a cdplayer.
2} If I have to convert the movie to a diff codec, then which one and
   how?
3} Some good links in this regard.

Sorry, I can't really answer your question, but do you mean DVD player
rather than CD player?  (I've never heard of a CD player playing video)

AFAIK most new DVD players can read CDs to play mp3s from them, and some
can do avi-xvid but I think it's rare and you'd have to check the specs.
Why not use a CD-RW and try it out?
VCD and SVCD are mpeg based formats which use CDs rather than DVDs
(lower quality) and might be more widely compatible, but I've only
tried once and couldn't get it working.

Transcode is one tool for doing format conversion,
<http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode>.

dvd::rip <http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/> has features for burning
video to cd (including making VCD and SVCDs), and reading its
logs for encoding and decoding is a good way to learn to use
transcode.

I think you can get both from any of Dag,  FreshRPMS and ATRPMS.

--
imalone