Re: usb mouse problem - not just mice - PS/2 adapters too.

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> Hey all...
>
> 	Something HAS changed between 2.6.14 and 2.6.15 and I believe it's in
> the HID layer.  I have several brands of PS/2 to USB converters (dual
> port, mouse and keyboard) I use for my laptops at home and at the
> office.  One brand, Micro Inovations, is working great, and worked great
> on both the 14 and the 15 kernels.  The other brand, an Ez "Smart
> Adapter" Ez-PU21, works great on 14 but NOT on 15 (neither the keyboard
> nor the mouse work).  There are different syslog messages that show up
> between those two devices.
>
> 	I just went back and reproducted this.  First I plugged in the Ez
> adapter and it failed.  Both the keyboard and the mouse were
> non-functional.  You could not even toggle the capslock light on the
> keyboard.  Then I removed that device and replaced it with the Micro
> Inovations device.  Both keyboard and mouse are fine.  Here's the syslog
> output from that test:
>
> 	Note...  The ones that fails claims "USB HID v1.10" while the one that
> works claims "USB HID v1.00".  Maybe a clue...

Guys, I think it's time for a Red Hat bugzilla report: would someone who
has the hardware please file one?

It might be useful to give the output of /sbin/lsusb for the device in
question (you could always Google the device ID against "2.6.15" and see
if anyone else has encountered this).

If anyone is confident with compiling kernels from source, it would be
great if they could compile a standard 2.6.15 and submit this to the
kernel.org bugzilla, too.

It sounds as though the problem is widespread enough to need some
attention.

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Whenever [Richard I] returned to England he always
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | set out again immediately for the Mediterranean and