Re: samba shares in FC4

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Friday 24 February 2006 02:29, Louis E Garcia II wrote:

I am trying to share a directory in FC4. readable and writable to everyone.

The directory is /data/public : 2777 root:root. It is an ext3 partition.

This is my smb.conf:

[global]
       workgroup = HOMENETWORK
       netbios name = server
       server string = Samba Server
       security = SHARE
       guest account = guest
       hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.0/24
       hosts deny = 192.168.0.1/24

[public]
       comment = Public Stuff
       path = /data/public
       read only = No
       guest ok - Yes

I am able to browse the server but when I open the share public I get an
error that the directory doesn't exist.

The /data directory is a ext3 partition. I am able to share a directory in
the / partition with no problems.

I am stumped. --Louis

Thre may be some connection with a similar problem that I have. I get the same 'does not exist' message when I try to access 'homes'. I do have a public directory underneath my /home on the server, and I can access that, then go up a level to the /home/anne that should have been available as 'homes'.

Is the username you are using on the client the same as the one on the server? If not, you might try mapping them in /etc/samba/smbusers, e.g.:

server-username = client-username
anne            = anne-wilson

with an appropriate "username map = /etc/samba/smbusers" directive in smb.conf of course.

Paul.