Re: equivalent of SuSE's checkproc

On 2/22/06, Bob Hartung <rwhart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I am trying to modify a SuSE init script to start Tomcat 5.5. It uses
> checkproc which I do not find on the FC4 install.  What FC4 program
> provides similiar utility?

I don't know what checkproc does, but I'm assuming it checks to see if
a service is already running.  That's provided by the daemon function
in /etc/init.d/functions which is normally sourced by every script in
/etc/init.d.

Note that the following is at the top of every Fedora supplied init script:

# source function library
. /etc/init.d/functions

If you refer to that script, you'll see the following is part of the
daemon() shell function:

        # See if it's already running. Look *only* at the pid file.
        if [ -f /var/run/${base}.pid ]; then
                local line p
                read line < /var/run/${base}.pid
                for p in $line ; do
                        [ -z "${p//[0-9]/}" -a -d "/proc/$p" ] && pid="$pid $p"
                done
        fi

Anyway, like I said, I'm not sure what checkproc does, but if there's
anything you need to know about Fedora specific enhancements to the
system initialization process, you're likely to find it in
/etc/init.d/function.

Good luck!

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."