APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

I'm getting a lot of these messages showing up in dmesg output.

What is a lot?  At this point, 314 during my 3 days of uptime.

Description of system:
- HP Pavilion a1350n desktop computer
- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
- ATI chipset
- nVidia 7800GTX PCIe video card (and 450w Antec power supply to
  support it)
- Fedora Core 4 for x86_64 with updates as of last week
- kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 for x86_64

>From http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/4/5/280 I infer that this message means
"Receive Illegal Vector" on the APIC bus.

I would guess that booting with "noapic" would suppress the problem.
I would rather solve it.  My machine is new and under warranty (but HP
does not support Linux).

=> if you are running a Athlon X2 CPU, could you check to see whether you are
getting these messages too?
	dmesg | grep 'APIC error'
I'd be interested in hearing from you either way.  Please describe
your system.

=> The machine came with WinXP MCE.  Is there any way I should be able
to observe this problem from WinXP?  That would make it easier to ask
for support from HP.

Anecdote:

I used to get APIC errors, years ago, on my Abit BP-6 motherboard running
dual Celeron 300A CPUs.  I just put it down to the fact that:

- Celerons were not specifieded to be dual processors (but lots of folks
  did run them this way)

- Celerons were on speced to run 50% overclocked (but this was
  considered to be Standard Operating Procedure by most folks)

- the BP6 signal runs were not designed as Intel specified for a dual
  processor