Hard disk drivers at bootup with new kernel (Phillip)

So far no luck. forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=89538 caries an identical problem. Our boot screen shows the following:

SCSI subsystem initialized
Creating root device
mkrootdev: label / not found
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
Switching to new root
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
unmounting old /proc
unmountin old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: 22

[and some trace info]

We have only a binary driver for the controllers. Moving to the appropriate modules directory for the new kernel does not work

For other suggestions:
yes -- SCSI
yes -- raid
yes -- have aliases in /etc/modprobe.conf for both controllers
yes -- we have tried mkinitrd but it cannot find the .ko driver with or without full path name and using the --with parameter.

More suggestions?

Phillip

ptho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2/23/2006 10:19 AM >>>
We have a High Point Sata controller. When we boot up with an updated
kernel, the OS reports that it cannot find the disk.

How do we tell the new kernel at boot up where to find the driver?

Details: grub can see the available kernels; booting on the old kernel
works; booting with the new kernel gives the cannot find disk message.