Re: What do you think of Centos

> If anything, it tends broaden the base of RH compatible
> systems out there, making it more attractive to market products
> for RH systems. In the long run, it will probably increase RH's
> sales as some users migrate to RH as their support needs grow.
> After all, that is really what RH is selling.
>
> Mikkel

While several views have been expressed on the moral/ethical nature of
CentOS being a branding-removed RedHat rebuild, I think one of the key
questions that has been overlooked is "How does RedHat benefit from
CentOS (or any other rebuild)?"

I think Mikkel's comment is right on.

The other aspect of this that has not been mentioned is because of
CentOS, more people are helping RedHat by finding & fixing bugs.

>From my own experience, I find it easier to work with the folks maintaining
CentOS-- they seem to care more about finding and fixing problems than
shuffling Bugzilla tickets. When a fix is found for a CentOS problem,
most of the time, it also applies to RedHat and is sent to them for
incorporation into their product. The community support for CentOS
directly benefits RedHat by off-loading some of the
developer/bugfix workload.

Just my $0.02.

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25