Re: What do you think of Centos

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 10:00 -0600, linux.whiz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I personally think that the CentOS project and Whitebox and those re-spins
> of RHEL are pretty much ripping off Red Hat.  Red Hat spends a ton of money,
> time and effort in making their enterprise distro.  They give the entire
> thing to the community via the Fedora project.  As required by the terms of
> the GPL, they release everything for RHEL as source RPMs.  Then the clone
> distros come along and respin them and give them away.

I guess you don't mind how Red Hat, et al, populate 3 or more CD-ROMs
with software mostly created by other people (the kernel, just about
every application, etc.).

What Red Hat, and plenty of other distributors do is take collections of
free software, and make money from them by bundling them into a
hopefully working package.  In some ways that seems wrong, but then many
of those packages were released to be used in that sort of manner.

I read messages from the public lists.