Re: What do you think of Centos

Howdy again,

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 13:21 -0600, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On 2/22/06, taharka <res00vl8@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >

> > Me too posts don't bother me one bit ;-) Having said that, what say ye
> > to sense of pocketbook ethics for, small businesses/churches/charity
> > organizations/etc., po folk in general, that require a RHEL type
> > solution but, can't afford RHEL pricing & definitely not the $MS
> > solution?
> >
> > Inquiring minds want to know ;-))
>
> Absolutely, that's a good question.  What fills the void left by the
> abandonment of the consumer version of Red Hat Linux?  What can an end
> user short of funds, or a non-profit organization turn to now that
> "free Red Hat Linux" isn't around anymore?
>
> I'd submit that for a more "stable" environment than Fedora, SuSE
> Linux, Mandriva, Ubuntu, or even Debian (assuming their new release
> schedules work out) fill that void and meet that need for a Linux
> system that's stable, tested, with a longer release cycle than every 4
> months.

Now, I'll submit (note I said RHEL type solution) that, the above
choices do not qualify :-(

> If you *really* want to run "Red Hat Linux for free" then you should
> (IMO) be turning to Fedora Linux.

It's not a question of running "Red Hat Linux for free", it's more a
question of running an affordable RHEL type solution ;-) The only
available solutions I see are the free ones.

> --
> Chris

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.